- “Beach House’s ascent into unexpected commercial success — 2012’s Bloom debuted in the US Top 10 — has come seemingly at odds with their music. The Baltimore duo of Victoria Legrand and Alex Scally makes slow-burning music, building melancholy songs from droning organ chords and dangling slide guitar. Their fifth album, Depression Cherry, stays true to their sound while sounding undeniably bigger” – THE BIG ISSUE AUSTRALIA ★★★★
- “It starts with opener Levitation, all floating organs, arpeggiated synths, and Alex Scally’s guitar pealing skyward. “There’s a place I want to take you,” Victoria Legrand sings; Beach House’s music, as ever, heading somewhere beyond words, or, on its best pop song, Beyond Love“ – SYDNEY MORNING HERALD ★★★★½
- “Songs that have simple, deeply embedded melodies are given room to bend and warp and decay in beautiful anti-Lynchian soundscapes. Not as cinematic and accessible as Bloom, it’s a much stranger, much stronger record” – THE MUSIC ★★★★
- “We can’t figure out what makes Beach House so alluring. But Depression Cherry just makes us love them more” – DOUBLE J FEATURE ALBUM
- “With every album, someone observes—rightly—that the band has never sounded exactly this full and soaring before. From their muted first two records, into their Sub Pop debut Teen Dream and then Bloom, Beach House always seem to be just leaving the ground as we catch them. It’s a trick of the light, and it speaks to the sadness that makes their music linger” – PITCHFORK 8.4 BEST NEW MUSIC
Mistletone is bowled over to release Depression Cherry, the glorious new album from Beach House. Depression Cherry comes packaged in a sumptuous red velvet sleeve in both CD and LP formats; it’s in all good record stores today and on iTunes + Spotify thanks to Inertia, plus we have a precious few Loser edition clear vinyl LPs left in Mistletone’s mail order store if you’re quick!
Depression Cherry, the band’s fifth album featuring the highlights ‘Sparks’, ‘Space Song’, ‘PPP’ and ‘Days of Candy’, was produced and recorded by the band and Chris Coady at Studio in the Country in Bogalusa, Louisiana.
About Beach House:
Beach House is Victoria Legrand and Alex Scally. We have been a band for over a decade living and working in Baltimore, Maryland. Depression Cherry is our fifth full-length record. This record follows the release of our self-titled album in 2006, Devotion in 2008, Teen Dream in 2010, and Bloom in 2012. Depression Cherry was recorded at Studio in the Country in Bogalusa, Louisiana from November ’14 through January ’15. This time period crossed the anniversaries of both John Lennon’s and Roy Orbison’s death.
In general, this record shows a return to simplicity, with songs structured around a melody and a few instruments, with live drums playing a far lesser role. With the growing success of Teen Dream and Bloom, the larger stages and bigger rooms naturally drove us towards a louder, more aggressive place; a place farther from our natural tendencies. Here, we continue to let ourselves evolve while fully ignoring the commercial context in which we exist.
Here are a few quotes that we feel relate to the feeling and themes of this record:
– “I’ll never be able to be here again. As the minutes slide by, I move on. The flow of time is something I cannot stop. I haven’t a choice. I go. One caravan has stopped, another starts up. There are people I have yet to meet, others I’ll never see again. People who are gone before you know it, people who are just passing through. Even as we exchange hellos, they seem to grow transparent. I must keep living with the flowing river before my eyes.” – from ‘Kitchen’ by Banana Yoshimoto
– “We inhabit a world in which the future promises endless possibilities and the past lies irretrievably behind us. The arrow of time… is the medium of creativity in terms of which life can be understood.” – from ‘The Arrow of Time’ by Peter Coveney and Roger Highfield
- “Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things” – from ‘Parerga and Paralipomena’ by Arthur Schopenhauer
– “Hark, now hear the sailors cry, feel the air and see the sky, let your soul and spirit fly, into the mystic…when the fog horn blows, I want to hear it, I don’t have to fear it” – from ‘Into the Mystic’ by Van Morrison
Here is the track listing with selected lyrics.
1. Levitation – “The branches of the trees, they will hang lower now, you will grow too quick, then you will get over it”
2. Sparks – “It’s a gift, taken from the lips, you live again”
3. Space Song – “What makes this fragile world go ‘round, were you ever lost, was she ever found?”
4. Beyond Love – “They take the simple things inside you and put nightmares in your hands”
5. 10:37 – “Here she comes, all parts of everything, stars in the motherhand”
6. PPP – “Did you see it coming, it happened so fast, the timing was perfect, water on glass…”
7. Wildflower – “What’s left you make something of it”
8. Bluebird – “I would not ever try to capture you”
9. Days of Candy – “I know it comes too soon, the universe is riding off with you…… I want to know you there, the universe is riding off with you.”
For us, Depression Cherry is a color, a place, a feeling, an energy… that describes the place you arrive as you move through the endlessly varied trips of existence…
Mistletone is proud to have been Beach House’s Australian label and booking agents since 2006. You can order Beach House’s previous releases from our mail order store.